As a business-focused law firm, Brouse McDowell regularly represents clients in a wide array of business disputes, including contract disputes, business torts, false advertising, fraud and deceptive practices.
Our attorneys also handle copyright and trademark infringement, as well as disputes related to licensing and internet domain names. In close coordination with our Tax and Estate, Succession Planning & Estate Administration Groups, our litigation attorneys are experienced at managing probate disputes and tax controversy matters, appearing before the federal and state courts, the IRS and state and local agencies. Our business litigation practice spans all areas throughout the firm, including employment law, health care, environmental, bankruptcy and real estate.
Our business litigation attorneys have a distinct depth of experience in the areas of insurance litigation. We represents policyholders in a variety of insurance recovery disputes. We represent national title insurance underwriters, their agents and policyholders in all manner of title claim defense and prosecution. We also defend title insurance underwriters in consumer class actions, and serve as national counsel for a major title insurance underwriter defending claims asserted under closing protection letters.
- Represented plaintiff in federal court action against competitor for false advertising and Lanham Act violations; obtained favorable settlement for client
- Represented several plaintiffs in actions to protect trade secrets and enjoin former employees’ use of corporate trade secrets; successfully obtained injunctions for clients
- Obtained summary judgment for business client, as plaintiff, on breach of commercial contract claim
- Successfully defended Uniform Commercial Code product defect and breach of warranty claims
- Obtained summary judgment for manufacturer of telephone systems against claims of Uniform Commercial Code violations
- Represented plaintiff in its claim for breach of contract and patent infringement involving complex scientific questions concerning the characterization of low molecular weight polymers
- Represented corporate plaintiff in obtaining an injunction preventing the enforcement of Ohio’s Control Share Acquisition Act
- Represent numerous clients in insurance coverage litigation
- Represented major local banking institution and former officers in “prime rate”/RICO actions
- Provide ongoing advice to clients on document retention obligations, particularly as it relates to electronic discovery
- Conducted highly sensitive, internal investigation on behalf of a financial institution to uncover fraudulent and/or criminal activities by its employees
- Defended global electronics company against claims of fraud and breach of warranty brought in a high-profile case in state court