Brandi Doniere and Marguerite Zinz Present on "Document and Information Management for Lawyers" at an ALI CLE Webinar
November 24, 2020
Brandi Doniere and Marguerite Zinz present on Tuesday, November 24, 2020, from 2:00 – 3:30 PM (EST) on “Document and Information Management for Lawyers: Creating Policies for Retaining, Discarding, and Deleting Records.” This webinar is hosted by the American Law Institute Continuing Legal Education.
The availability, affordability, and almost limitless capacity of document storage in servers, data centers, storage facilities, and devices has made the deletion of stored records seem unnecessary. However, keeping records indefinitely results not only in operational inefficiency, but also discovery, security and compliance risk issues. Strong data management and record retention policies are key to ensuring that your processes for retaining, managing, securing, accessing, and disposing of records and data adhere to legal and regulatory mandates.
Join us for this 90-minute webcast that will provide a deliberate approach to data management procedures to mitigate record retention risks and reduce discovery costs through defensible storage and disposal policies.
- Practical Guidelines for Drafting Effective Document Retention and Destruction Policies
- Statutory and common law requirements
- Best practices and challenges associated with retention and destruction policies
- Identifying your institution's document retention and destruction obligations
- Adopting a rational and defensible process for disposing of inactive data and archived paper records
- Developing a Defensible Plan for Discovery and Due Diligence
- Defining the scope of the request or order
- Identifying and understanding all sources of potentially responsive information, including physical locations and custodians
- Determining who will lead collection efforts and who has access to the data
- Tips for Making Defensible Record Retention Decisions
- Documenting the decision-making process
- Providing clear instructions/protocols for record handling, and disposition
- Conducting quality checks
Bonus: A checklist of record retention tips is included in the course materials.
All registrants will receive a set of downloadable course materials to accompany the program.
To register, click here.