Brouse McDowell is a full-service business law firm based in northern Ohio. From offices in Akron, Cleveland, Toledo, Naples, and Youngstown our 80+ attorneys serve clients across the region and far beyond. We’re a mid-size firm with the talent, diverse experience and national reach of a large firm and the unwavering service ethic and personal touch of a small firm. For more information on Brouse McDowell, visit Our Firm page.
Brouse McDowell is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind: Brouse is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Brouse are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
In addition to base compensation, Brouse McDowell offers a range of attractive benefits:
- Profit Sharing Plan Contribution
- Paid Indoor Parking
- Medical Insurance
- Other Insurance (i.e. long term disability, life and accidental death and dismemberment)
- Other amenities, including comprehensive training in the latest technology and accelerated opportunities to take on more challenging assignments
Available Job Opportunities
Accounts Receivable/Collections Coordinator
The Accounts Receivable/Collections Coordinator reports to the Firm’s Controller and acts under his/her direction. The Accounts Receivable/Collections Coordinator is primarily responsible for leading the accounts receivable and collection efforts of the Firm. This employee is required to have regular attendance and is considered a non-exempt employee under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act, and as such is entitled to payment for overtime worked.
- Process all forms of daily cash receipts according to the Firm’s policy.
- Research payment discrepancies and propose appropriate action for underpayments, refunds, write offs, and adjustments.
- Research and resolve overpayments.
- Respond to staff regarding status of client accounts.
- Respond to client inquiries including but not limited to requests for payment ledgers, account status, or payment options.
- Process and post all credit card payment made online through ClientPay or by phone.
- Generate reports used to determine advisability of issuing checks and the opening of new client matters.
- Daily communication with clients and legal personnel (via phone, email, mail) to determine reason for past due invoices. This includes utilization of firm collection software to send statements and collection letters, setup reminders, and collection notes to bring past due accounts current. Document status of collection efforts.
- Schedule and lead monthly collections meeting to review delinquent accounts, including reports and analyses to keep firm management apprised of results and collection performance.
- Work collaboratively with the Staff Accountant to document funds placed in Trust and/or Unapplied Cash accounts.
- Contact attorneys upon receipt of Trust and/or Unapplied Cash to determine the appropriate application of the funds.
- Conduct monthly review and follow-up of Trust balances (escrow and retainer).
- Provide Billing staff with information about Unapplied Cash available to be applied to future bills.
- Assist with the processing and reporting of the Annual Unclaimed Funds report to the State of Ohio.
- Serve as backup for others in the Accounting Department which requires a general overview of each person's job responsibilities.
- 2+ years of Accounting and collection experience, preferably in a law firm or other professional service organization. High school diploma required.
- Experience with collection software; must be able to become proficient with other firm software programs and fully utilize their functions.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and communication skills.
- MS Word and Excel skills – Intermediate level required.
- Ability to prioritize work and adapt to shifting deadlines.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 20 pounds.