Location: Toledo, Ohio
The Legal Secretary is responsible for assisting the firm’s legal personnel with meeting the day to day needs of the firm’s clients in accordance with firm policy. The position requires performing a variety of administrative support duties, including delivering high-quality services to internal and external clients and exhibiting commitment to integrity and excellence. The position requires thorough knowledge of all firm and practice specific administrative processes and procedures, information technology systems, research tools, and a broad-based understanding of clients, matters, and associated practices.
Legal Secretaries are employees of the firm, not of the individual lawyers or other professionals for whom they work. Legal Secretaries are required to have regular attendance and are considered non-exempt employees under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act, and as such, are entitled to payment for overtime worked.
- Provide document production services in accordance with the requirements of the assigned legal personnel, including formatting briefs, pleadings, other legal documents, and correspondence.
- When required, schedule and maintain calendars for assigned legal personnel to ensure that deadlines are met, work is completed in a timely manner, and matters are monitored on a routine basis.
- Organize and maintain client files, research files, form files, deposition notebooks (when required), and miscellaneous files, both paper and electronic, to enable retrieval of documents. Manage closing of files in timely manner in addition to daily filing.
- Contact clients, attorneys, and court personnel to schedule hearings, meetings, depositions or conference calls, and to direct parties to the appropriate entities, as required by assigned legal personnel.
- Provide research support as needed.
- Assist with time entry as required by assigned legal personnel which may include data entry, reviewing, editing, and/or releasing time.
- Perform monthly billing processes as required by standard firm accounting procedures.
- Assist other secretaries or other legal personnel as needed.
- Other duties as assigned which are consistent with the nature of the position and the goals of the firm.
- A high school diploma or equivalency certificate.
- 5 years’ experience as a Legal Secretary with a detailed knowledge of the field or completion of a related certificate program.
- Ability to accurately type a minimum of 60 wpm.
- Excellent transcription, grammar, punctuation, and proofreading skills.
- Superior verbal and written skills, excellent telephone etiquette.
- Ability to organize work, establish priorities and handle multiple assignments.
- Must have thorough working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, specifically Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Must be proficient in Expert or a similar time entry system.
- Proficiency with utilizing a document management system preferred.
- Knowledge of filing and e-filing procedures with federal and state courts.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Participate in continued education and training when available.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 20 pounds.
- Background check required upon acceptance of position.
TECHNICAL SUPPORT SPECIALIST
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
The Technical Support Specialist provides technical support to end users for a variety of technology issues in all of the firm’s offices, using the IS department’s established methods for receiving and responding to support requests. He or she identifies, researches, and resolves technical problems using established department procedures and industry best-practices. Issues are tracked, monitored, and resolved in a timely and accurate manner to minimize interruptions due to computer problems. He or she reports directly to the Manager of Technology Support and acts under his or her direction. This position requires regular attendance and is considered non-exempt under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act, and as such is entitled to payment for overtime worked.
- Provide all manner of technical support for the firm’s computer hardware, peripheral hardware, software systems and SaaS solutions.
- Maintain documentation regarding technical support and IS departmental operations.
- Maintain detailed working knowledge of all firm-owned application software to evaluate how user requirements are being met, and provide additional support in planning and implementing the firm’s software and hardware systems.
- Provide technical training to firm personnel.
- Participate in and provide ongoing information security awareness training.
- Investigate suspicious emails for phishing attempts and implement corrective actions as necessary.
- Coordinate with other IS department staff to ensure a consistently high level of end-user support.
- Scheduled and unscheduled travel between all firm offices.
- Other duties as assigned that are consistent with the nature of the position and the goals of the firm.
- Undergraduate degree in a technology discipline is preferred. Related experience may be substituted.
- 2 years or more of experience providing technology support. Must have a thorough understanding of computers, mobile devices and hardware peripherals.
- Must have strong problem-solving skills.
- Must have excellent customer service and effective interpersonal skills.
- Ability to assist computer users at all levels of expertise.
- Experience with Microsoft Windows, Office 365, Multifactor authentication, iManage, and RingCentral phones is preferred.
- A valid driver’s license and vehicle available for business use (mileage reimbursements available)
- Ability to lift 20 – 30 lbs.
Brouse McDowell is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind: Brouse is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Brouse are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
Compensation and Benefits:
In addition to base compensation, Brouse McDowell offers an array of attractive benefits:
- 401k Plan with employer contribution
- Profit Sharing Plan Contribution
- Paid Holidays and Paid Time Off
- Paid Indoor Parking
- Medical and Dental Insurance
- Other Insurance (i.e. long-term disability, life and accidental death and dismemberment)
- Healthcare spending and reimbursement accounts, including HSA and FSA
- Other amenities, including comprehensive training in the latest technology and accelerated opportunities to take on more challenging assignments